POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Motion Blur : Re: Motion Blur Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:11:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motion Blur
From: Scott Hill
Date: 27 Nov 2000 23:44:09
Message: <3a233819$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
> In article <3a22146e@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
> wrote:
>
> >   Well, perhaps a 'blur_clock' might be useful, but if I have understood
> > it correctly, it would not fit in the ideology of the motion blur
syntax.

> Perhaps, but it seems to confuse people that things outside the
> motion_blur block don't get blurred(Why? I don't know...).

    Well, try rendering the 'Motion Blur.pov' file that I've posted in
povray.text.scene-file - once with motion_blur on and then with motion blur
turned off (just comment out the motion blur line in global_settings{...})
(actually you only need render the first couple of frames each time - the
problem can still be seen clearly). Compare the two results and you'll see
that the motion blurred version is all wrong - the movement of the sphere is
taken into account, but the rotation on the pigment isn't.

    The problem is that you can't do :

#declare foo=
motion_blur {
 pigment {...
}

or even :

motion_blur {
#declare foo=
 pigment {...
}

See ? Of course, in this simple example, if you move the full pigment
definition into the sphere you get correct motion_blur, but what if you have
50000 spheres, all using the foo pigment ?

This is only a very simple example, but it highlights a very annoying
'feature' of MegaPOVs motion_blur implementation.

--
Scott Hill.
Software Engineer.

*Everything in this message/post is purely IMHO and no-one-else's*